Comme la vie est fantastique en France and other parts too!

I started this blog in 2006 as a way to stay in touch with friends and family while I was living and working as an English Language Assistant in Nantes, France. Since then, I've become a bit of a "blogger", sharing my adventures on the town, exploring new areas by bike, and any other random details that come along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Working, being silly, calling Jodie when I'm lost, yummy dinners outside with a bottle of wine, text message junkie, reader, sister, auntie, donkey-loving fool.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Got My Visa!


Salut-

So I actually got my long-stay visa. I can't believe it! I took Monday off work to go up to the consulate in San Francisco. Jeffrey was sweet enough to go with me to keep me company and so I wouldn't have to do the drive alone (he always has Mon. off). We got there at 10:40 AM and had to wait in a line outside before being able to get in the line inside. We waited outside for about an hour before being seated in the “blue chairs”. I was finally seen by an attendant who spoke to me in English; I replied in French, but he kept asking me questions in English (I heard that they only want to speak French, but I guess that’s not the case). He asked me for all my paperwork and told me to have a seat in the “brown chairs”. Not long after I was called again to get all 10 digits fingerprinted. By now, Jeffrey had already gone to feed the parking meter and get us croissants and lattes (-:

I think we waited another hour after being fingerprinted before being called to pick up my paperwork and passport (with the visa in it). All in all, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and relatively quick it was to complete the process. Let’s hope I have the same luck at the prefecture in France when I apply for my carte de sejour. Since we were already in the area, we did a little shopping for Jeffrey; he likes to take advantage of the stores in SF that carry a size 15 shoe since they are hard for him to find. We ate lunch in North Beach at a restaurant that I really like (The Mona Lisa) and then visited a friend who works at a fabulous Italian bakery and cafe called Stella's. It was a great day!

I’m still busy getting things in order here (cancelling my cell phone, deferring student loans, having mail forwarded to my parents house, and trying to think of what I may want to bring as visual aids in the classroom). Pretty soon I will have to start the packing process; I started writing a list today.

Jeffrey and I will get a little mini-getaway this weekend. My friend Jessica (from the barn) is getting married at a winery up in Murphy’s, so we will go up there and stay in my parent’s house. It worked out really well that the ceremony will take place in the same small town where their house is. The wedding is on Sunday, and I think we will either drive up late Friday night or early Saturday morning. We’ve both got Monday off, so it really should be a nice little break. Guess that’s it for me. Take care, and I’ll be in touch soon.


Here's a fun link to the history of Nantes' flags: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/fr-44_na.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home