Comme la vie est fantastique en France and other parts too!

I started this blog in 2006 as a way to stay in touch with friends and family while I was living and working as an English Language Assistant in Nantes, France. Since then, I've become a bit of a "blogger", sharing my adventures on the town, exploring new areas by bike, and any other random details that come along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Working, being silly, calling Jodie when I'm lost, yummy dinners outside with a bottle of wine, text message junkie, reader, sister, auntie, donkey-loving fool.

Friday, November 24, 2006

A Sad Thanksgiving

So yesterday was Thanksgiving, and it was unlike any other I've spent. I always have Thursdays off, so it worked out well for me. Woke up and did 2 loads of laundry, cleaned a little, and Jesse cooked us up some breakfast potatoes. We spent the afternoon walking around and treated ourselves to a Turkish lunch. She had a kabab; me, a hot vegitarian sandwich consisting of good bread, scrambled egg, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and "sauce blanche" which is similar to indian yogurt with herbs.

It was a gloomy day, and we all felt a little sluggish. Maybe it was a little saddness knowing we were missing out on a big day and thinking about friends and family at home. It was just odd b/c no one here even knew it was a special day for us Americans. So, we crawled up in my bed to watch Meet the Parents. Ironically, I had one of the most pathetic dinners ever last night: boiled potatoes, mache lettuce, and a stale baguette with Fanta soda to drink. You might think "stale baguettes in France?!" I don't know what the craic is with this (this is an Irish expression), but we really do get served stale baguettes in the cafeteria at the foyer. Needless to say I dreampt of mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie last night. I hope you all had a wonderful meal surrounded by loved ones.

I got to school at 9AM as scheduled, but there were no students. I have actually never met this group of kids b/c they either don't get sent to me or don't show up. I don't know which. It blows my mind that the French govt. is paying for us to be here (we will eventually even get up to 80 percent of our rent paid for by govt. aide), and then they don't use us to the fullest. I will definitely have my 10-12 classes, and they are some of my favorites. This class has an emphasis on cinema, and they are a fun group of kids.

Jenny and I will head down to take a bus to the airport here in Nantes this afternoon, and should arrive in London at Stansted by 5:30PM. We'll check into our hosetl in Kensington and try to catch a free general bus tour by night. Tomorrow will be filled with touristy things, and we will be in a pub to watch Arsenal play by 6PM (Jenny is the biggest sports fanatic I have EVER met). I'm very much looking forward to this weekend and will hopefully have some nice pics to post next week.

Alright, I've got to run off to class. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Bisous, Elizabeth

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Elizabeth -- your family thought of you many times yesterday during the turkey feast. Very strange -- your first ever Thanksgiving away from us. We love you, and imagine you're having a blast in London right now.

your dad

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home