Comme la vie est fantastique en France and other parts too!

I started this blog in 2006 as a way to stay in touch with friends and family while I was living and working as an English Language Assistant in Nantes, France. Since then, I've become a bit of a "blogger", sharing my adventures on the town, exploring new areas by bike, and any other random details that come along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Working, being silly, calling Jodie when I'm lost, yummy dinners outside with a bottle of wine, text message junkie, reader, sister, auntie, donkey-loving fool.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Christmas Carols, The Circus, Beach, and Fajita Night

Bonjour! So I've been a busy girl this past week, and after a much needed long sleep, I finally feel a little bit better. I think I was up past 4 AM for 3-4 nights in a row! Came to school again for my 11:00 class..... and nothing. So here I am.

Classes continue to go well, and I've made special Taboo cards for the kids this week so look forward to seeing how that goes. We tested some of them out on French friends at the foyer, so I have a pretty good feeling the game will be fun. All these kids are so competative and had specifically asked to do a game with teams. I only have 2 more weeks with these groups since the other assistant left, I will have all new classes after the winter break.

Last Tues. we went to a church to see a Christmas concert. It was.... interesting, but one of the women was just wonderful. It was nice to go out, see all the lights at night and appreciate the fact that the bulidings here are amazing. At one point some drunk homeless man stumbled in rambling on about his half eaten sandwich... um ok.

On Thursday we went to see a circus called Cabalout. They had set up a tent right along the Loire, and it was very intimate. This was quite the experience, lemme tell you. I don't really know how else to describe it other than saying it is exactly what you'd expect out of a French circus: randomness, tricks with wine bottles, an extreme artistic point of view, and weird music. I think most people got it, but I just didn't get into it. There was a great juggling act, though. Louise just kept saying, "I don't get it". And I said "Don't hold your breath; I don't think we're supposed to".

Friday night we went to one of the coolest bars I've ever been to. It was just Jesse, Lou and Mathieu and then his friend Benjamin met up with us. It's called La Maison (The House) and is literally a house turned into a bar! It was so cool and all retroed out complete with 60s kitchen devises (stove, refrigerator, toaster, etc...). There's a living room, bathroom, and real bar area too. Very fun! You could order drinks like Abba and Ausitn Powers. We sat a the orange and white kitchen table. It's so nice to be able to talk to people who will help you with your French, and that's always how it is when we're with Mathieu. Definately had a good time.

Saturday we finally made our way to the beach, thanks to Mathieu's car! It was about an hour drive and a little cold, but we had fun, and it was sooooooooo nice to be by the beach. Stayed in that night but still managed to get to bed after 4... again. Yesterday I was just exhausted but we still cooked a fajita dinner for 15 people.

I have my infamous appointment at the prefecture on Wed. so won't have to do classes; Jesse has hers at the same time, and we're going to take advantage of the time off together and do a day trip to Angers where she studied in 2004. I've got nothin else to report here. Over and out. Bisous, Eli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home