Comme la vie est fantastique en France and other parts too!

I started this blog in 2006 as a way to stay in touch with friends and family while I was living and working as an English Language Assistant in Nantes, France. Since then, I've become a bit of a "blogger", sharing my adventures on the town, exploring new areas by bike, and any other random details that come along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Working, being silly, calling Jodie when I'm lost, yummy dinners outside with a bottle of wine, text message junkie, reader, sister, auntie, donkey-loving fool.

Monday, January 29, 2007

2 More Weeks Until Vacation!

So time has just been flying by! It's been 3 weeks since we have been back from Christmas break, and now there are only 2 weeks left until another vacation. I could really get used to this schedule (wink wink).

Classes continue to go very well. The kids are awesome, and my honors Seniors are a blast. Italian is great too and Annie (the prof) really lets me take part in the class. We did our horoscopes last week and only one girl had remembered to bring one in, so she was thrilled that I found an American one for that day. It's something to look forward to and gives a little more structure to my week (otherwise on Tues. I only have class from 5-6 so this forces me to get up and going early in the morning).

I had seen posters advertising an international horse jumping competition and had asked some of my classes if they knew anything about it. When I got to school on Thurs. one of the girls had printed out the schedule, prices, and directions for me and put it in my box. Jenny, Zoe and I went on Friday afternoon since it was free that day. It was absolutely amazing, definitely one of the most enjoyable things I've done in France so far. There were riders from all over- even Venezuela. This is something I think anyone can enjoy b/c it's flashy; you don't need to know or care much about horses to appreciate the sport. The jumps were about 1.5 meters high and then with spreads. We did see several people eat it; one girl even fell of after completing the whole course! Jenny treated us to some delicious deserts from a boulangerie near one of her schools, so we had a great goute.

By the time we got back to the foyer it was ready to start thinking about going out. Mathieu had just gotten back from San Brieuc (spelling ?) which is about 2 hours North of Nantes, so we met up with him. Louise, M, and I went out to get a drink and ended up running into all sorts of people out and around centre ville. We got back around midnight (which is fairly early for France), but I was exhausted after an incredibly busy week (still surprises me how I manage to STILL be busy only working 10/12 hours to week and not even being a student anymore!!). I was about to fall asleep at the last bar we went to (thankfully it's close to home) so they were nice enough to go back with me. Mathieu has 100 gigs of music with an encridible sound system, so when we got back there was of course one of our famous dance parties. I took a lil nap and then woke back up and finally made it to bed after 5am.

Saturday was another night out: Lou and me again with Kwam (Mathieu's roommate) and a fridnd Joe. Pre-partied chez Mateo and Kwam and didn't head out until after midnight. We went to Tex Mex to go dancing, but on Saturdays, it's house music, and none of us appreciate that too much. We still managed to stay until closing; Lou and I were dancing to music that we had never heard (hello random French electronic music), but they did play a couple of decent songs.

Vegged all day yesterday watching episodes of Ally McBeal and our weekly get together for the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy; gotta love iTunes. I've had a ton of energy lately, so woke up early this morning and went for a long run. I'm so lucky to have a beautiful park that seems to be endless (I've gone out for 2 hours and never seen an end). There's a lake with ducks and swans, beautiful gardens, and lots of people out walking their dogs.

I've got classes from 4-6 today, so am goanna meet up with Jesse for a coffee and then come back to school. Guess that's it for now. I imagine these next 2 weeks will just fly by. I'm starting to relize that I'll be on a plane headed home before I know it. Bisous to all of you, Eli

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
This seems a bit random, but im a student, about to travel to Nantes for a while to live and study there. (I study interpreting and Translation). I was wondering if maybe you could drop me an email and tell me a bit about the city? It sounds like you're having a great time, and i don't really know anybody out there or anything about the city! My email is anna_w16@hotmail.com , it'd be great to hear from you :)

Anna.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home