Comme la vie est fantastique en France and other parts too!

I started this blog in 2006 as a way to stay in touch with friends and family while I was living and working as an English Language Assistant in Nantes, France. Since then, I've become a bit of a "blogger", sharing my adventures on the town, exploring new areas by bike, and any other random details that come along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Working, being silly, calling Jodie when I'm lost, yummy dinners outside with a bottle of wine, text message junkie, reader, sister, auntie, donkey-loving fool.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Prefecture, IKEA and First Day Teaching

So... lots to report! Yesterday was a big day- went to the prefecture to start the process for my carte de sejour and hit up IKDA for sheets, a plate, bowl, trash can, and lamp.

Jesse and I headed to the prefecture around 11 and got there to wait in the line where we could get a number from the machine at 1:30. This meant that we had to wait in line for 2 hours just to get a # to wait in another line. We met another American assistant, Liz, who was there for the 3rd time! This is her 2nd year doing this, so she had some good info to share. She's having ppl over on Friday night, so I'll try to stop by.

Finally 1:30 was approaching and at 1:25 (no joke) an alarm sounded off! I was 6th in a line of about 30-35 ppl and the machine only distributes 20 tickets per day! I can tell you my heart was pounding like no other. I seriously couldn't believe it- 5 min. before we could have at least gotten a ticket. There was all sorts of chaos, of course, and I was trying to ask the security guard how they would regulate things to make sure ppl kept their places when we were let back in. I didn't want to have to start a fist fight at city hall, after all. When we were let in about 20 min. later the police guard made a little speach saying that everyone had to keep their place and maintain order or no one would be allowed in; believe it or not, I got the 6th ticket.

This next line was only about another hour wait and I have my appointment and a list of things to bring with me (no surprises- it's just what I had found online), but it's a really good thing that I got my birth cert translation taken care of as they do require one. I also have to get 4 black and white photos taken. Photos, photos, photos! Everyone needs them! So, I have my appointment on Dec. 13th which should be plenty of time to get a chest x-ray at the doctors before then.

After a successful trip, Jesse and I hopped on the TRAM to IKEA. I got a bottom sheet, pillow and cover, and a blanket for 16€- not bad. I also got a plate, bowl, lamp, and cutting board. We have a little kitchenette and have decided so share supplies (Courtney had pots and pans); so it looks like we'll be ablt to do some cooking after all! This is great b/c the meals at the foyer are about 6€, so I don't think I'll ever buy over the manditory 17 per month.

I had my first classes solo today from 10-12. I made sure to get a good night's sleep and get to school early; I can't get over how fortunate I am to live just across the street! Some ppl have over an hour commute by bus or have to make arrangements to get rides.

This is one of Sophie's classes that I am covering since she's in Sweeden. I had one class split up into 2 groups, each one hour. She had a worksheet on "prejudices and stereotypes". It was fun. I gave them 10 min. to write down cliches about Americans (while I scrambled and ran 4 flights of stairs to try and locate a white board marker!). Then I wrote them on the board and we discussed them. Then I did a list of my impressions of the French (they like Levis and Chuck Taylors, are full of life, are worldly, work hard in school etc...) and we discussed them. It went really well, and I think they had fun. We did some vocab and one of my stereotypes was about "red tape" so I got to share my story from the prefecture yesterday, which made them laugh. Of course, I don't expect all classes to go as well, and they're probably still on good behavior b/c they don't know me, but it was a good start.

Next week, I'll have the whole class together for the full 2 hours, and we'll watch Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window. I'm looking forward to it and did some research online to get the date, trivia facts, etc... Bernadette (head of the English dept.) also lent me Bread and Roses to watch and we're going to have a viewing of it at the foyer, so that should be fun. No plans set for the weekend; I think I may check out the market tomorrow morning. I would like to walk around, find the pool, and maybe take some pictures. Things will be in full swing next week, so I should prepare for classes too.

I've been having luck chatting with friends online and catch Jeffrey here and there on Messenger. I definitely miss you all back home, but am excited about all the new things there are to learn and experience here. Money's tight which always makes things interesting. I feel like the kid who can't afford to buy lunch at school, stuffing the bread and yogurt froml my lunch into my purse. Haha. Whatever works... I got to try some wine from Saumur (not to far west from Nantes). It was 1, 26€ and good! Hope things are well with you! Bisous, Eli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home