Comme la vie est fantastique en France and other parts too!

I started this blog in 2006 as a way to stay in touch with friends and family while I was living and working as an English Language Assistant in Nantes, France. Since then, I've become a bit of a "blogger", sharing my adventures on the town, exploring new areas by bike, and any other random details that come along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Working, being silly, calling Jodie when I'm lost, yummy dinners outside with a bottle of wine, text message junkie, reader, sister, auntie, donkey-loving fool.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Weekend in Grandchamps des fontaines

Well I had a great weekend and hope you did too; things have been a little hectic to say the least, but hopefully I will have pictures to post soon!

I spent the weekend with Christine's aunt and uncle (Marie Claude and Alain) in their beautiful country home just outside of Nantes. It was originally a barn that they have turned into a lovely custom home over the past 30 years. I thought it was just wonderful. Marie Claude had, to my understanding, a lot of input, and her brother is an architect, so it is something quite special! There are lots of large windows, so even when you're inside you have the feeling of being outside. They have 4 horses, a man-made pond with fish and frogs, a rabbit coup, and imported fallow-dear. I don't know what the equilivant would be for us, maybe something b/t a deer and a raindeer; I really couldn't say. They were extraordinary. The male is in his mating prime right now and must be a happy fellow with 5 females! There were also some babies about 3-4 months old. I guess the male looses his antlers each spring and Alain has found and collected them for the past 5 or so years; it was really neat to see. Of course I was in heaven being around all these creatures, and MC and Alain couldn't be nicer or more interesting people. I am sure I will see them again soon.

As it turns out they are quite the horse ppl. Alain was president of a group that does endurance competitions for the past 15 years, and I saw ribbons and trophies their daughter had won. Turns out I couldn't have visited a better weekend as their neighbourhood hosted 110 horses yesterday for an event. Alain and MC along with 4 other families had built a huge and professional indoor arena for themselves and their childreen (bigger than Indian Hill!) along with some land. There were several races yesterday: 90km, 60km, 40km, and 20km. I got to do one of the vet controls where you stop to check the horses' heart rates, check for dehydration, lameness etc... It was pretty cool.

I moved into my foyer today which is better than I expected though it will cost more than expected too; you have to pay over 100 dollars each month for 17 meals and put down a security deposit and a deposit for the keys etc... However they have internet access (also a manditory monthly fee though not too bad and you have unlimited access provided there is an open computer). I have a toilet, sink, and shower in my room so that is great. There is a washer and dryer down the hall- also fantastic. I filled out paperwork etc... with Valerie and she will also help me apply for financial aid for housing once I have my CDS (carte de sejour).

I met one of the teachers I will be working for and sat in on 2 of her classes. All the students are very bright, and I look forward to getting to know them. Guess that's it for now. My Mom seems to be doing great with Pokey and had her first lesson. Today is Oliver's 4th birthday- wish I could be there to eat some cake with him! Love to you all, Elizbeth

Oh, here's my address:

Elizabeth Cloern
Foyer de Jeunes Travailleurs L' Edit de Nantes
Chambre 115
1 Rue de Gigant
44100 Nantes
FRANCE

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home