Comme la vie est fantastique en France and other parts too!

I started this blog in 2006 as a way to stay in touch with friends and family while I was living and working as an English Language Assistant in Nantes, France. Since then, I've become a bit of a "blogger", sharing my adventures on the town, exploring new areas by bike, and any other random details that come along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Working, being silly, calling Jodie when I'm lost, yummy dinners outside with a bottle of wine, text message junkie, reader, sister, auntie, donkey-loving fool.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

"Well, you're living in a right-handed man's world"

Fellow lefty, Mike Weir.

So I hit my first golf ball this past week. Well, my first real try unless you count the round of miniature gold I played at a friend’s 10th birthday party when we were kids. Who would have thought I’d actually like it- scratch that- love it? I typically gravitate towards more boisterous activities like pub crawling, galloping my 1200 pound Thoroughbred mare in the hills, cycling 40mph down a windy road, shoot, even swimming can feel pretty quick when you’ve got fins on and are pushing it, but this was a completely different experience, and I imagine, once (if ever) you get past the sucking phase, there is an element of both speed and strength involved. Combine that with the meditative-like concentration it demands, and I can see why people become obsessed with the sport. So as my friend BD says, I will become a, “student of golf”. Yes, master.

Works been pretty busy, and I was all off of my schedule last week (I got called in on Sun. night to come in at 6 AM Monday morning). I ended up working 6-2 again on Tuesday as well. By the time Wednesday rolled around, I was getting used to sleeping in a bit and was just too lazy to get up for a morning swim. I couldn’t bike in on Thurs. b/c I had a date with the driving range in Palo Alto after work. The weather’d been hot, and Thurs. was no exception. I got a little lesson, learned about the 14 clubs that are typically carried in the bag, how far each one could generally hit the ball etc. etc. Well I wasn’t able to hit it any of the distances mentioned. In fact, I think a generous estimation would be about 15 ft. but it was fun nonetheless, and now I’m determined to be a little bit less awful at the sport.

I was completely and utterly exhausted after an “off” week and then a busy 4 days partying it up. I shamelessly stayed in bed in my bathrobe watching Netflix until 3 PM on Sunday (ahh memories of France). I finally made it out to the barn around 4, and just my luck, I ran into Kristi as I was about to leave. I don’t think we’ve seen each other since Christmas and it was soooooooooo nice to simply pull up some chairs and hang out in the shade while Pistol (her pony) enjoyed some time in a turnout pen.

For some reason (maybe it was my cracked-outedness) I couldn’t fall asleep later that night. But I woke up at 4:30 on Mon. after an alright sleep and forced myself back to the pool. Thankfully, it’d been covered the night before so it was fairly warm. And wouldn’t you know it, just my luck, Tim was on vacation and we had a guest coach who, bless him, decided to have a “recovery swim”. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! I could hang with that. While most people may have needed a recovery workout from their weekend swims, I on the other hand, needed one from all the fun I had.

In the end, I think it was a good thing for me to have some time off from biking/swimming b/c my ride in today was AMAZING. I felt so strong and it literally felt like I blinked and I had arrived at my destination. It could have been that they were playing Salt n’ Peppa (yeah you know you like it) on the radio. I’m not really sure. I definitely need to get some long-fingered gloves b/c my hands are starting to get a little bit freezing when I leave my casa. And sooner rather than later I need to get a serious headlight for my bicycleta b/c it’s starting to be D.A.R.K. when I leave the house and I don’t want to get ecrazéd (how’s that for some franglais for ya?) by a car, ya hear?

Entertainment anyone??

-Saw Dark Knight and LOVED it. I have been a fan of Christain Bale’s since he played Teddy in Little Women.


-Also saw Mamma Mia and loved it equally as much. So much so that I went straight home and downloaded the soundtrack. Now, I have to say one thing here, apparently Madonna’s song “Hung Up” is to a remix of an Abba song. So they kept playing the beat during the movie, which made me want to hear the whole song. So, now I’ve got my own custom soundtrack which includes that song as well.

-And finally, after a dark literatureless period, I’ve picked up a book again. I will let you know how that goes, once there’s a little more to report.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home